The summer months are quickly approaching! Not only does this mean beautiful weather, but it also means it’s a great time of year to enjoy some of the healthiest summer fruits and vegetables.
In today’s blog post, we’ll list some of the healthiest summer fruits and vegetables to try. We will also explain why these particular crops are best in the summertime. So, whether you are looking for something new to add to your diet or you just want to learn more about seasonal produce, read on for some great information!
Healthiest Summer Fruits
- Watermelon: This juicy fruit is not only delicious, but it’s full of nutrients like lycopene and citrulline too. Watermelon is a great source of hydration and can help keep you cool in the summer heat.
- Blueberries: These little berries are loaded with antioxidants and phytochemicals that can help boost your health. Blueberries are great for snacking or adding to breakfast or desserts.
- Peaches: Peaches are a summer staple and they’re also a good source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber. Peaches can be enjoyed fresh, canned, or baked in pies or cobblers.
- Cantaloupe: This sweet melon is a good source of vitamins C and A, as well as potassium. Cantaloupe is often used in salads or eaten as a healthy snack.
- Raspberries: Raspberries are another one of the healthiest summer fruits that are high in antioxidants and phytochemicals. Raspberries can be enjoyed fresh or added to yogurt, cereal, or desserts.
Healthiest Summer Vegetables
Now, onto the healthiest summertime veggies!
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are a refreshing and hydrating summertime staple. They’re also a good source of vitamins K and C, as well as potassium – a nutrient that’s essential for proper muscle function.
- Tomatoes: There’s nothing quite like a ripe, juicy tomato fresh off the vine. Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene. This antioxidant is linked to a reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer.
- Zucchini: Zucchini is a versatile veggie that can be used in sweet (muffins!) or savory dishes. It’s a good source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber and potassium.
- Eggplant: Eggplant is a flavorful and healthful addition to any summer meal. This vegetable contains anthocyanins – powerful antioxidants that may help protect against some chronic diseases.
- Corn: Sweet corn is a summertime favorite! Corn is a good source of fiber and vitamins A, B, and C. Enjoy corn on the cob or use it in salads, salsas, or soups.
Why are these crops best in the summertime?
There are a few reasons why these fruits and vegetables are best in the summertime. For one, many of these crops are heat-loving plants that thrive in warm weather. Additionally, summer is typically when these fruits and vegetables are in peak season – meaning they’re at their freshest and most flavorful.
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy fresh, delicious fruits and vegetables. Watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peaches are just some of the healthiest options to try this season. So what are you waiting for? Head to your local farmer’s market or grocery store and stock up on these nutritious summer staples.
Be sure to check out our other nutrition-related posts on the Xtend Fitness blog next. Here are a few to start you off: