5 Healthy After School Recipes for Hungry Kids
It’s that time of year again: back to school! Gone are the days of summer barbecues, popsicles, and easy summer snacking. Now, you’re focusing on finding healthier options, including after-school recipes for your kids they’ll be glad to eat. Well, you’re in luck.
Today, we’re sharing five of our favorite after school recipes for kids they’ll never turn down! But it’s not only kids who will enjoy these recipes. In fact, your whole family will be eager to dig into these tasty dishes. Let’s get started!
Thai chicken wraps
We can’t get enough of these Crunchy Rainbow Thai Chicken Wraps from Ambitious Kitchen.
You can grab the full recipe here, but these are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons warm water, to thin dressing
- Optional: Few dashes of red pepper flakes OR a few dashes of hot sauce
For the wraps:
- 2 large spinach tortillas (burrito size)
- 2 large carrots, shredded (or ¾ cup shredded carrot)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 3/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup diced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 1 pound grilled or baked chicken breast, sliced or diced into pieces
Next, we have these delicious energy cookies from Cooking Classy. With only 15 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes of cooking time, you can have these on the table for your kids before they know it.
Here’s what you’ll need to bring them to life:
- Rolled oats
- Whole wheat flour
- Shredded coconut – sweetened or unsweetened will work
- Flaxseed meal – darker will be fine
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Mini chocolate chips – use cocoa nibs to make them healthier
- Peanut butter
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Coconut oil
- Honey and brown sugar
Chipotle chicken taquitos
Foodie Crush shares a delicious recipe for chipotle chicken taquitos, and the best part is, you only need five ingredients to make them! You’ve also got options for baking or frying them, as well as packing them ahead of time to serve your kids in their lunchboxes.
- Shredded chicken
- Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- Canola oil
See the full recipe here.
Whole wheat veggie pizza
Who can say no to pizza? And when you can make this healthier version with whole wheat crust from Sweet Phi, you’ll feel even better about serving this option to your kids for an after school snack.
To make the recipe even more appealing, your kids will love the “hot air balloon” shape of the dough in this ultra-fun and tasty recipe.
Chocolate peanut butter banana bites
Chocolate, peanut butter, and banana are one of the most irresistible combinations to ever exist! When your kids come home after a long day of school craving something sweet, this is the perfect after school recipe to offer them.
And here’s all you need to make them:
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Coconut oil
Find the full recipe here.
Check back soon for even more recipes your whole family will enjoy!